This is the first part of a blog series . The basis of frugal foods is premised on keeping a supply of basic food blight at its lowest cost. This isn’t a doomsday stock mantra, but, rather a cya mantra.
Having basic ingredients that are versatile ingredients saves time and money and never leaves you on a complete lurch of bleep happens, We all , especially after the past year, know that bleep happens to the best of us. A carefully planned stock list can save the day and a lot of money,
- Basic spices : taco seasoning ir SASON, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper
- olive oil, salad oil. Soy sauce or equivalent, vinegar
- pepper flakes, and or Tabasco type sauce of you like hot foods
- the basic 10: flour, yeast, baking powder, rice, dry beans, dry milk or shelf stable milk , sugar. Oatmeal. Salad oil. Baking soda
- pasta sauce. Pasta. Diced tomatoes, green chilies (mild) , pizza sauce or small cans of tomato sauce
- green beans, corn, frozen mixed vegetables, stir fry vegetables, peas
- Fresh carrots, celery, potatoes
- dairy: milk, eggs, cheese, sour cream
. This is bare basics. We all add fresh vegetables, more dairy, and fresh fruit. In other words it’s not your full grocery cart, but, rather, the basic things to make a meal, all of which, with the exception of maybe milk have at least a month or more I useful life.